To support this increase in the skills of Greater Paris local authorities, the Greater Paris Metropolis has initiated the Digital Explorers and Digital Builders programmes, as well as a network of elected representatives for innovation and digital technology.
This "Digital Explorers" programme is open to all public officials who are interested in digital issues and innovation in their community, whether they are project leaders or not.
It makes it possible to join a group of explorers for a year in order to meet other agents from the Metropolitan area and to participate in ten or so exploration days, with the aim of:
- Learning about the major challenges of digital technology through presentations by digital actors and experts
- Experimenting with new tools in practical workshops
- Receiving technical support for project construction (legal, project architecture, design, etc.)
Participants must commit to attending all days of the programme. It is not possible to join the programme partway through the year.
A first group of explorers was formed for the period 2018-2019. A second group was launched in October 2019.
The community represents 55 Explorers and 39 local authorities (34 municipalities and 5 EPTs):
- 2018-2019 group: around 30 Explorers, from 25 different local authorities
- 2019-2020 group: 27 explorers, representing 22 local authorities
The Metropolis promotes the Explorers programme through the YouTube channel "Métropole d’Intelligences". The channel hosts several video summaries of the exploration days and interviews with the speakers.